Thursday, May 21, 2015

Senior BBQ

How did students react when they heard what is being served at the senior barbecue? What was served as side dishes? How many students got seconds?

Today was the class of 2015's annual senior BBQ. Today was a day to grub, hang out with friends, but mostly eat.. Each year the food choices are different, but this year the food choices seemed to be a bit extreme even with the sides included!

Each student was put in line to get a cheeseburger, turkey dogs, or beef hotdogs. After the main course, we were given choices of cotton candy, lollipops, popcorn, potato chips, and of course the condiments necessary for the food. 

Surprisingly as we were talking about the food choices in our 4th period class, one student actually  made a reference to the book Fast Food Nations. I quote "ew I'm not going to eat any of the food they cooked up there. Our class is reading Fast Food Nation and I don't trust the meat?" I was surprised I wasn't the only one impacted by the book! I have to admit upon completion, I thought very hard about the next time I was going to get fast food.

But for other students, they finished their first meal in a little under 10 minutes. I repeat...10!!!! Once they shoved all that food down their throat all they cared about was getting seconds even thirds! Of course all the food was finished before the BBQ was even half done. 

Even though it was a nonprofit celebration, students were easily bought over with the food selection of candy and BBQ. Today I was able to witness first hand how our generation of young adults choose to eat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment